Powered By Blogger

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Bluebirds

Last year, quite unexpectedly, a bluebird couple set up housekeeping in the dilapidated old birdhouse left here by the former owners.  We had lived here 10 years and  at that time, and I have never seen a bluebird near that house, nor would I expect ,because it is not a very auspicious bluebird home -  not near any trees or bushes, not near an open field, entrance hole too big, dirty.  But the bluebirds came and had two broods (clutches?) in that awful little house.  It was so exciting.  My husband and I watched them every day from our own perch on our upper back porch.

So, this year, I thought to make a bluebird sanctuary of sorts.  It started by cleaning out the old house.  When my bluebird-loving friend Susan  visited a couple of weeks ago, she spotted two bluebirds checking out the slum house again.  Then she showed me where might be a good placement for new house.



Obediently, I placed the house as she directed, and within 2 days, the bluebirds had moved uptown and had created a beautiful thick nest made of green moss and dog hair. 

Since then, I have peeked in a couple of times - no eggs yet- and have set out a feeder and a little bird bath.  Then I dragged over my wooden love seat and leveled it with some flat rocks.  My new morning routine is to walk out whistling a tune, put the mealworms or other delectables in the feeder and sit and wait for the happy couple to appear.



The first day they sat and ate the mealworms with no notice of me.  Since then, they have been a bit more shy.  But I've kept going every day, whistling and bearing mealworms with hopes that they eventually will begin to see me as a friend. 

And this morning, my neighbor and I sat there in the cold spring air with our warm drinks and hats and watched as the bluebird couple came and ate all the mealworms I had left for them on top of their house and in the blue feeder.  As we sat, they left and we started watching other birds.  A little chickadee landed on the house for a bite of mealworm.  Out of nowhere, both the blues came sweeping in like avenging angels, sending the little chickadee quickly away.

The bluebird watching offers me a daily opportunity to get out of myself, to watch them and let my thoughts and energies be absorbed by their delicate beauty..... to be mindful of the trees and the greening pastures and the birds just starting to bring in the spring with their songs.  . 


I am following them into the springtime, heart wide open.

Namaste.









 
 S

1 comment:

  1. wonderful. you do get caught up in their lives. am wondering about the moss though. sadly, it might be a chickadee.

    http://www.bluebirdnut.com/Nesting%20Habits.htm#Nestappearance

    Carolina chickadee: Downy nest with moss base, topped with a thick lining of fur and soft plant fibers. Distinct, small, deep cup.

    ReplyDelete