Powered By Blogger

Thursday, April 21, 2011

of birds and dogs

The bluebird nest turned out to be a chickadee nest.  But then the bluebirds built a nest on top of that one and, while I was in SC last week, laid 4 beautiful blue eggs in there.  Since I returned on Wednesday, no sign of the mama and daddy bluebird.  Was it something I said?

While watching bluebirds, I discovered a wren nest in a large white bucket up under the porch.  I watched the little wren sit on her eggs and then last evening, I noticed the eggs were hatched - it was a bit dark, but I did think that there were several little fuzzy chicks in there.  But today, when I was doing the after-storm assessment, the nest and bucket were on the ground and the baby birds were not to be seen. I have a feeling that Millie had a few bird morsels today while she was out in the storm getting extremely wet and muddy.  I am sad about that, but what can I do.

I keep watching the box and hoping to see a bluebird but so far nothing. I went out yesterday and took the nest out of the box with the five beautiful Carolina blue eggs. I was thinking I might blow the stuff out of the eggs and bake the nest to get the bugs out and then keep all in the house as a spring display.  But when I put my hand on the eggs, they were warm and so I thought that I would leave them there a bit longer.  This weekend I will re-evaluate.


Meanwhile, I have placed other houses, trying to create a bluebird trail of sorts here in my little 3 acres of ground.  The mealworms seem to disappear but so far no beautiful blue and gold birds.

Wish me luck.

1 comment:

  1. No! don't remove the eggs.. often the parents leave for a few days, particularly in warm weather. they'll come back.just leave it alone. on warm days, the sun does keep them toasty. keep putting out the worms. mine didn't begin to sit for a couple of weeks after they laid the eggs. sbr

    ReplyDelete